ghost machines, revisited

James W. Beauchamp jbeauchamp at gesinc.com
Thu Jan 3 11:07:19 GMT 2002

> Heh.  Not quite what I was trying to say. :D
I knew you had to mean something else ...

> Samba servers remain online.  They've been online for quite a while.
> What I'm saying is the windows machines (in this case, win2000, all of
> which are in the same workgroup; there is no domain here) always appear
> in the browse lists whether the given windows client in question is
> online or not.  By example:
>
> - winboxA and winboxB, both online.  Both in browse lists.  All is happy.
> - winboxB is shutdown.  winboxA still sees winboxB listed in the browse
> list.  winboxB will in fact remain in the list for what seems like
> forever, regardless of winboxB actually being online or not.
>
> Same thing happens with workgroups.  A while ago there were a bunch of
> clients in here and they all brought their laptops in (and hence their
> own "workgroup" settings, from windoze' perspective).  Since then (about
> 3 weeks ago), all of such workgroups (now "ghosts") have remained in the
> browse listings.  Unnecessary clutter and I do not know who
> (samba/win2k) is causing it.  :/
>
> Now that it's clarified: thoughts/ideas??  :)
that's very interesting.... Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure....Have you
checked on the samba server for the actual contents of wins.dat?  It might
be in /var/lock/samba or somewhere else depending upon your configuration.
Look in there and see if the 'ghost' machines are actually there.  If they
are then that is a WINS problem and maybe one of the developers can shed
some light on it.  I don't recall what the update time for WINS is but I
thought that within 30 minutes the list should refresh.

James