failure copying profiles, using temp profile

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Thu Jan 3 08:20:06 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 21:57, Paul Miller wrote:
> Would it help to put the profile directory inside each user's home?

No it wouldn't.  It's best that you have a separate profile share, and I
understand you've already done that.

I also need to say that I had no idea that you were using 3.0 alpha
version of Samba.  That's a whole new different code (not to mention
it's still alpha), and I'm just not sure how much of my suggestions can
apply to 3.0.  I use Samba 2.2.2, and the following works perfectly for
me.

[global]

    logon path = \\Server1\profiles\%u

[profiles]
    comment = Profile Directory for NT/2k Machines
    path = /path/to/profile
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    nt acl support = no  #<- This shouldn't be necessary but won't hurt
anyway.

Inside the profiles share, there is one directory for each user where
the name of the directory is identical to the associated user name.  For
example, let's say you have users named albert, bob, charlie, david,
edward, then you need to manually create under the profile directory:

mode        user       group          directory
drwx------  albert     albert         albert/
drwx------  bob        bob            bob/
drwx------  charlie    charlie        charlie/
drwx------  david      david          david/
drwx------  edward     edward         edward/

The gist of it is that each user must have a directory with his/her
name, and have write permission to his/her own profile share (but of
course other users shouldn't be able to even browse other users
profiles).  If, for example, there is a user named frank, and there is
no directory named frank under the profiles share, then frank will
receive a "profile not found on server" (or something similar) error
message when he logs in.

As long as you follow this, the roaming profiles should work.  You may
well have already covered all of this, but I just need to make sure that
I understand your situation correctly.  I also suggest you try this on
samba 2.2.2 if this doesn't work on 3.0-alpha.

Kohei