XP share - permission denied only after downloading - please help!

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 2 15:39:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, greg wrote:

> I just upgraded Samba to 2.2.2 and it's still happening. I have a
> Windows XP Pro machine as my desktop and a Linux machine as my
> gateway/firewall. The XP machine (which is connected directly to
> the gateway thru cat5) has a few shared directories which I can
> successfully mount on my Linux machine. However, when I download a
> file on a XP shared dir and try to move/copy the file from the
> samba mount on linux to /var/tmp, I get "Permission denied".
>
> OK now here's the fun part! I move the downloaded file from the
> shared dir to another dir then move it back to the shared
> dir..only then can i move/copy the file from the linux samba mount!

"Permission denied" is probably returned by the server. The reason may be
that something on the XP box holds the file open and that smbfs tries to
open files using some old mode that isn't allowed by the previous opener.
(there are far too many ways to do things in the SMB protocols ...)

Why moving the file helps, I don't know. If all of this is done with
(internet)explorer then perhaps that is why.

Future smbfs versions will be using more recent SMBs to open files, and
that may help in this case. Experimental patches for 2.4.17 kernels can be
made available.

> Can this be circumvented by tweaking the smb.conf file, or is it

Yes, if you define a share on the linux box and run samba as a server
(if you can call that a tweak :)

That would allow the XP to download the file to the linux side.

/Urban