Mandatory windows settings (profiles)

Nicholas Brealey nick at brealey.org
Wed Jan 2 12:08:04 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Paul Miller wrote:
> >
> > Hello all.  I recently upgraded to Samba 3.0 (CVS HEAD) and finally have a
> > working Samba-PDC with Windows 2000 and XP clients.  Right now, I'm
> > working with the profiles and I'd like to force some mandatory settings.
> > I read something about using NTUSER.MAN.  Can someone further explain this
> > file and how to create it?  Here's what I'd like to do:
> >
> > 1) My Documents path = H:\My Documents
> > 2) Disable Windows XP tutor nag
> > 4) Eventually something with Nescape, keeping the cache at "Local
> > Settings" (don't copy the cache to the server), and make the profile
> > roaming.
> >
> > ... #1 is by far the most important.
>
> #1 is trivial.  Grab the MS Office Resource Kit and the Win2k system
> policy editior.  There is a policy template in the resouce kit that lets
> you set that (come to think of it, it might even be in the default
> policy set).  Likewise you might want to enforce setting the AutoRecover
> directory as H:\AutoRecover, which saves embarising docs ending up in
> c:\ :-)
>
> I think you can kill off the tutor as well but I've not done it.
>
> As to netscape, its not quite so simple, becouse netscape keeps its
> setting in prefs.js, not it the registry.  You might be able to setup a
> system policy to make netscape keep its profile things on the server,
> but it will still prompt to setup the profile for the first time, unless
> you already provide it when they create their home dir.

For Netscape try something like the following in the registry:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\UserInfo]
@=""
"DirRoot"="H:\\Windows\\Netscape"
"ProfileDirectory"="H:\\Windows\\Netscape"

I think you have to create the H:\Windows\Netscape directory yourself.
Netscape will then store profile information in the H:\Windows\Netscape
directory.

Nick