Simultaneous file copying failing on Samba 2.2.2

Tim Allen timallen at ls82.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 02:01:03 GMT 2002

Jeremy

> Ok, I need to know *exactly* how to reproduce this. Client, service
> pack level, smb.conf settings and then a click-by-click guide to
> what you're doing on the client.

Here goes:

Helix: NT4 server, SP6, 200MHz Pentium, 96MB, 100Mb/s network circuit
Dell: W2000 workstation, SP2, 700MHz P3, 256MB, 100Mb/s network circuit
Golux: RH7.1, Samba 2.2.2, 100MHz 486, 40MB, 10Mb/s network circuit.

smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = DCAE
 server string = Samba Server
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
 log level = 3
 syslog = 3
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 local master = No
 dns proxy = No
 hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
 printing = lprng
 oplocks = No

[print$]
 path = /usr/local/samba/printers
 write list = administrator,root
 guest ok = Yes

[hp_lj3p]
 path = /shared/printers/spool
 printable = Yes
 print command = lpr -Fb -r -P %p %s
 printer name = lp

[faxlp]
 path = /shared/printers/spool
 printable = Yes
 print command = lpr -r -P %p %s
 printer name = faxlp

[Data]
 comment = Development data
 path = /shared/Data
 read only = No
 inherit permissions = Yes

[Admin]
 comment = Share for Admin group
 path = /shared/Admin
 read only = No
 inherit permissions = Yes

[Apps]
 comment = Applications
 path = /shared/Apps
 read only = No
 create mask = 0644

[homes]
 comment = Home Directory
 path = /home/%S/pchome
 read only = No
 create mask = 0700
 directory mask = 0700
 browseable = No

[Common]
 comment = Common directory for file sharing
 path = /shared/Common
 read only = No
 create mask = 0777
 directory mask = 0777

Directories in /shared:

drwxrws---    4 root     admin        4096 Jan  1 10:30 Admin
drwxrwxrwx    5 root     root         4096 Jan  1 10:30 Apps
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Dec 23 16:09 Common
drwxrws---    3 root     devel        4096 Jan  1 10:30 Data
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Jun  2  2001 printers

Helix (NT4 server) has corresponding shares Admin, Apps, Common, Data, each
containing a few hundred Mb.

Golux is visible to Helix and Dell in Network Neighborhood.

On Helix (as Administrator), open Admin in My Computer, select all and copy
(ctl-A, ctl-C). Open Network Neighbourhood, navigate to \\Golux\Admin and
ctl-V to copy over. Repeat for Apps and Common so there are now three
simultaneous copies running from Helix to Golux.

On Dell (as User), so the same for Data, so now a fourth copy process is
running from Helix to Golux through Dell.

(It makes no difference whether or not the Golux shares are mapped to
drives).

After a few minutes, all the copies on Helix appear to hang. One then times
out. One or both of the remaining ones then continue to run. The copy from
Dell remains uninterrupted. If Dell is booted into NT4 rather than W2000 and
an identical test performed, it runs to completion.

> > One other thing I noticed with the CVS code, my home share went missing.
> > Tracked this down to the %S macro used in the [homes] section path. Have
> > there been any changes in this area?
>
> More details on what's not working please.

On 2.2.2, the share (see smb.conf above) appears as the user name under
Network Neighborhood. On CVS2_2, it is not present. For a test, replacing %S
with my username in path fixed this (i.e. path = /home/tda/pchome). So it
looked as if %S was set to something different in the CVS code.

Tim