Error connecting from XP Pro

Keith Warno kw at valaran.com
Tue Jan 1 16:31:03 GMT 2002

Unless you are using smbpasswd, you will have to enable plain-text
passwords on the client machine (the XP box).  I believe the key you want
in the registry is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

and you will want to change the "enableplaintextpassword" value from a
zero to a one.

Of course you will have to reboot for this to take effect.

I have been using XP Pro for a couple of days with a samba 2.2.1a server
with no problems (yet).

Good luck,
kw