[Samba] transfer users and password form win NTto linux fileserver

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 08:06:13 GMT 2002

Hi,

>From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rog=E9rio_Carlos?= <rogerioc at polmil.sp.gov.br>
>To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
>Subject: [Samba] transfer users and password form win NTto linux fileserver
>Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2030 16:17:56 -0300
>
>Hi people!
>I´m a fireman from São Paulo Fire Dapartment (Brasil) and I´m encharged to
>give support to the Computer System of the headquarter.
>We have for about 500 users connected in a fileserver running Red Hat 7.2,
>but we are authenticating the users using another machine running win NT. I
>would like to turn off the win NT but I don´t known how getting the users
>and passwords from the win NT and transfer them to the smbpasswd.
>Could you give me some help to transfer the users and passwords to the
>fileserver running Samba to retire the win NT password checker?
>I will be very happy for any help.

You need pwdump.

It's not part of Samba's source (I think), but you can get it from:-

	ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/pwdump/

and it'll do exactly what you're after.  Take all the passwords from
your NT box and make a 'smbpasswd' file from them.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)