[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a, print queue status "opening," high server load

Jay D. Anderson jay.anderson at dw.deere.com
Thu Feb 28 06:15:08 GMT 2002

Okay, I *thought* this was fixed with a couple changes I made, but I was
wrong.  I am still seeing the same behavior as outlined below.  As an
example, I try to print from Word and after selecting the printer Word
stops responding and I the smbd process loads up a CPU.

I have Samba 2.2.3a installed and running successfully on Solaris 8 in a

test environment.  I manually enter printer shares into the smb.conf
file, and then I can upload printer drivers to the Samba server from a
Windows session without problems.

When I try to print to a print queue on this server from a Windows 2000
SP2 machine, the application I am printing from hangs, the CPU usage of
the smbd process shoots up to 100% and stays there, and nothing else
happens until I kill the application in Task Manager.

I haven't found anything applicable in the mail list archives, so I'm
wondering what I'm doing wrong.  I have been running Samba 2.0.x for a
long time, but I haven't been able to switch to 2.2.x for production yet

due to server loading issues.  Using 2.2.2, printing worked fine, so
this problem only came up when I switched to 2.2.3.  From reading about
some of the changes between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3, I was hoping the server
into this new printing issue.

I'm including my globals and a sample printer share from my smb.conf
file.  If anyone would like a level 3 log of what happens when this
printing problem occurs, just tell me where to send it.

Thank you.

[global]
        workgroup = JDDOM
        netbios name = H2O
        server string = Test Server - Samba %v
        interfaces = 166.191.196.12/20
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        password server = DDWPDC
        max log size = 5000
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/user.map
        time server = Yes
        deadtime = 15
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        large readwrite = Yes
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins server = 166.191.196.135
        message command = csh -c '/usr/bin/mailx -s Winpopup postmaster
< %s;/bin/rm -f %s' &
        load printers = no
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
        printing = SYSV
        print command = /usr/bin/lp -c -dprint01.dw.deere.com:%p %s ;
/bin/rm -f %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p -L
        lpq cache time = 60
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/

[dwpr54]
        comment = HPLJ4000N
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = dwpr54

Jay D. Anderson                         John Deere Davenport Works
Jay at Deere.com                           P.O. Box 4198
Phone: 563.388.4268 Fax: 563.388.4159   Davenport, Iowa 52808
http://www.dw.deere.com/~hz01930  http://jayanderson.cjb.net