[Samba] Machine trust account reqd in 2.2.3a?

Matthew Hagerty matthew at brwholesale.com
Wed Feb 27 11:03:49 GMT 2002

At 06:36 PM 2/27/2002 +0000, Steven Mackenzie wrote:
> > Since the text was last updated in July of 2001, and there have been
> > several releases of SAMBA since, is the /etc/passwd account for machine
> > trust accounts still required in 2.2.3a?
>
>Yes.
>
>(The account is created for you if you supply the root username and password
>when prompted by a Windows client that you are joining to a domain.)

I'm confused by your comment.  The HOW-TO for using SAMBA as a PDC says
that I have to create machine trust accounts either 1. manually, or 2. on
the fly by adding something similar to this in my smb.conf:

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

It also says that I must include a "root" user in my smbpasswd file and
suggests a password that is different from the real root password.

Are you saying that SAMBA takes care of all these details now?  Also, if it
makes any difference, the client(s) I'm trying to add are XP.

Thanks,
Matthew