[Samba] [permissions] smbpasswd vs passwd

Steven Mackenzie sjm at activenavigation.com
Thu Feb 21 08:03:48 GMT 2002

(my smbpasswd is -rw------- )

The password hashes stored in smbpasswd can be used "as is" to gain access
to the files on the samba server, so they have to be kept secret (only
readable by root).

You can read a little more by looking at smbpasswd(5) ('man 5 smbpasswd').

The ones in /etc/passwd can't be used for anything except checking a
password (or brute force hack attempts by checking lots of passwords), so it
doesn't have to be secret.

 In fact, /etc/passwd has to be world readable so that various applications
can see user the user properties in it.