[Samba] aliases not working!!

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Feb 20 16:14:02 GMT 2002

Well, you sound desperate so I'll put in my two cents.
Did you STOP and RESTART nmbd?
Have you run testparm to be sure your smb.conf file is OK?
Name resolution can occur in several ways:
lmhost or /etc/hosts
wins server
dns
broadcast

Try nmblookup VIPER

and see what info you can glean.
Do this with with and without a wins server defined in your smb.conf. (I
assume you have a wins server.)

Try ping VIPER and see who, if anybody, answers.

Joel