[Samba] Samba newbie

Jeff Rasnick jeffr at softtechks.com
Wed Feb 20 11:54:27 GMT 2002

Hello,

I am new to Samba and trying to set up a little network with just a pc (Windows ME) and linux server (Mandrake 8.1).  I'm sorry if these questions seem simple, but we need to have this network set up asap and I don't have lots of time to do research (networking is not my responsiblility but this was thrown on me).

We have the pc and linux box connected to a mini-hub and I can ping the server from the pc, but when I try to map a drive I get an error saying something like the machine could not be found.  I have added a user to the linux box and to samba , and have added this user to the frontline group.  Unfortunately this network is set up at a different office so I can only test the setup at certain times.
I did have Samba working correctly at our office with this same linux box, however we had a NT Server and the PDC.

Here is my simple smb.conf:

[global]
  workgroup = STOGDEN
  server string = Samba %v
  encrypt passwords = Yes
  unix password sync = Yes
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log isze = 50
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF8192 SO_SNDBUF
  dns proxy = No
  invalid users = root

[test]
  comment = Test
  path = /opt/frontline
  valid users = @frontline
  read only = No

Does anyone see anything that I need to add to get this to work?  Do I need to make this linux box the domain master?  Again sorry for the questions without a lot of research.

Thanks for any responses,

Jeff