[Samba] Problem with Win2k Offline Files

Marko Stolle fwd2m at gmx.de
Mon Feb 18 18:54:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

I ran into a lot of trouble after upgrading Samba from 2.0.10 to 2.2.3a on a
linux box running RedHat 7.1 / Kernel 2.4.17.
Local users with notebooks should be able to use files on the network
online and on the road. We are using the Windows 2000 "Make accessible
offline"-feature to achive this.
The notebooks are running Win2k SP2 SR1 or Win2k SP2.
With Samba 2.0.10 the offline usage and synchronisation worked flawless.
After upgrading to 2.2.3a we are experiencing problems if we are trying to
access the files offline. Looking into the "Offline Files Folder" shows all files
marked available for offline usage but with two different status. Some files
are "synchronised" and some show "local copy is incomplete". There is no
hint why there are these differences. All files have the same permissions
and can be opened while connected to the network. All files are doc, xls or
pdf - some are accessible offline, some not.
The shown rights on the files differ also (why? As said: all files have the
same permissions (0660) on the linux file system), but it seems to have
nothing to do with the accessability.
As recommended here in the list I turned off "nt acl support", but the
problems are still the same.
I'm not sure if it is a Win2k-Problem or Samba-related. But the upgrade from
2.0.10 to 2.2.3a was the only change in the system so I suspect a problem
between Win2k and Samba.

Thanks for any help
Marko

[global]
   interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24 192.168.2.1/24
   bind interfaces only = yes
   hosts allow = 192.168. 127.

   workgroup = None
   server string = Server
   netbios name = Server
   time server = true

   printing = CUPS
   printcap name = lpstat
   load printers = yes
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P %p
   lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
   printer admin = m

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   null passwords = no
   password level = 0
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

   username level = 1
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   guest account = nobody
   map to guest = Bad User
   default service = pub

   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 65
   wins support = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon script = scripts\%U.cmd
   logon drive = x:
   logon path = "\\%N\%U\profile"
   logon home = \\%N\%U

   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
   large readwrite = yes
   deadtime = 10
   getwd cache = yes
   dos filetimes = yes

   character set = ISO8859-1
   client code page = 850

==============================
#these are the two shares with files for offline usage

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes