[Samba] Windows changes file ownership & ACL's - any solution?

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Mon Feb 18 09:20:12 GMT 2002

--On Monday, February 18, 2002 09:13 -0600 Josh Konkol
<susesambaboy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have just verified that I'm having this same problem.  Exactly.  I
> saved a  file on a Samba share, then I verified I was the owner.  I then
> went to a  co-worker's computer and opened, edited, saved the file with
> M$ Word.  Now  when I look at ownership, it is set to him as the owner
> and the permissions  are reset.  When I follow the same steps using
> Notepad, the ownership and  permissions aren't changed.

This is on the Windows side, but is not a 'problem' per se, more like
accepted normal activities; there is no 'fix' you can do on the client
side, you need to tweak your smb.conf file (play with stuff like the create
mode, and masks).

What is happening is that Word is making a new file while you are "editing"
the old one; when you save it, the old one is deleted, and the new one has
the same perms & stuff as if you had made a completely new file. (I think).
I would bet that this is NOT an MSOffice problem, as many high end 'real'
word processors follow similar approaches (notepad, of course, does not
count as a 'real' word processor :-).

If I am off-base here, I won't be offended at all if other people chime in!

I actually have a similar problem, too, but have not had time to finish
tweaking my Samba configuration.

- john