[Samba] querying realname

Todd Knauer tknauer at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 05:14:03 GMT 2002

If you set up a newer version of Samba (2.2.3a), specifically "winbind"
you can do a "getent passwd" command and retrieve all users (local linux
and NT Domain users) in the same format as /etc/passwd.  This includes
the "Full Name" field from the NT domain accounts.  It would be simple
to extract the full name from a specific ID in this format.