[Samba] generating error message on smbclient -L apollo

Dave Williams DWILLIAMS at elantec.com
Tue Feb 12 17:34:03 GMT 2002

Hello,

When I run the 'smbclient -L apollo' command at the UNIX prompt a I get an
error.

I have gone as far as I can in this DIAGNOSIS.txt file.   Does anyone have
any thoughts on what may be causing my problem ?

I have made my comments to the DIAGNOSIS.txt file via '---- davidw
{comment}' so you can see what I've done to date.

Also, I thought I'd pass on the output from the log.smbd file as it may
yield some insight.

% cat log.smbd

[2002/02/12 16:35:03, 1] smbd/server.c:main(689)
  smbd version 2.2.2 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998
[2002/02/12 16:35:49, 0] lib/access.c:check_access(320)
  Denied connection from  (10.64.0.45)
[2002/02/12 16:35:49, 1] smbd/process.c:process_smb(852)
  Connection denied from 10.64.0.45
[2002/02/12 16:35:49, 0] smbd/connection.c:yield_connection(62)
  yield_connection: tdb_delete for name  failed with error Record does not
exist.
[2002/02/12 16:35:49, 0] lib/access.c:check_access(320)

Thanks

David Williams

====================

----davidw : DNS working properly

>TEST 1:
>-------
>
>In the directory in which you store your smb.conf file, run the command
>"testparm smb.conf". If it reports any errors then your smb.conf
>configuration file is faulty.
>
>Note:  Your smb.conf file may be located in: /etc
>       Or in:   /usr/local/samba/lib

---davidw : smb.conf in place.

------davidw : ping works in -both- directions

>TEST 3:
>-------
>
>Run the command "smbclient -L BIGSERVER" on the unix box. You
>should get a list of available shares back.

---- davidw : IT FAILS HERE !

%smbclient -L apollo
added interface ip=10.64.0.45 bcast=10.64.1.255, nmask=255.255.254.0
session request to APOLLO failed (Not listenint for calling name)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)