[Samba] smbmnt problem ...

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Feb 12 05:08:03 GMT 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, C.Lee Taylor wrote:

> 	I also decied to check what mount thought it should be doing,
> so I did a "ll /sbin/mount*" ... which returned ...
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Dec  4 12:41
> /sbin/mount.ncp -> ../usr/bin/ncpmount
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Dec  4 12:41
> /sbin/mount.ncpfs -> mount.ncp
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Feb 11 17:40
> /sbin/mount.smb -> /usr/sbin/smbmount
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Feb 11 17:40
> /sbin/mount.smbfs -> /usr/sbin/smbmount
>
> 		I think that smbmnt can be found, I am now really stuck ...
> any more ideas would be wonderful ... thanks ...

Do an strace on your mount commant (strace -f) and watch how smbmount
fails to execvp("smbmnt", ...).

The path mount sets up for smbmount isn't necessarily the same as the one
you have in your shell.

The quick fix is to get smbmnt into /usr/bin, the better fix is to fix the
rpms (or one of the patches in the rpm?) to install smbmnt into BINDIR or
to replace BINDIR with where it places smbmnt.

/Urban