[Samba] Samba feature that might be nice

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Wed Feb 6 09:43:03 GMT 2002

The version of smbpasswd in 2.2.3 does exactly this.

Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    A couple of times (especially when sorting out my scripts for the
> umpteenth time), I have deleted a unix user before the smb user.  This
> caused smbpasswd to panic and not delete the smb user.  As far as I can
> tell, this doesn't present a security issue, as if there is no user in
> /etc/passwd then you cannot use the account in samba anyway, however, it
> would be nice for smbpasswd, if passed the -x argument didn't look for the
> user in /etc/passwd, just to save hand-editing the smbpasswd file.
>
>    Thanks for listening.

> Martyn Ranyard

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177