[Samba] locking over NFS??

reinout.wijnveen at philips.com reinout.wijnveen at philips.com
Tue Feb 5 00:33:21 GMT 2002

Yes Eddy,

You may ignore this. Your colleagues from Nijmegen have already met the underlying problem :-) With help of the people on this list this problem was solved. Initially we were unable to use Lotus Notes with any samba compiled on HP-UX 11.

What happens is this: HP-UX 11 is of course 64 bit. If you compile samba on this platform it tries to use 64 bit locks. This works well, but not over NFS, which only supports 32 bit locks. When samba tries to use a 64 bit lock, the OS returns a "no locks
available error". This caused confusion in the earlier version of samba (or should a say in the heads of the developers?), eventually causing locking to fail completely over NFS.
Starting from Samba 2.2.2. there is an extra test. If the error above is generated, samba checks for an NFS filesystem. If it is NFS is does a fallback to 32 bit locks. Everytime this happens you'll see a message in the logs.

I hope this clears things up

-
Regards,
Reinout Wijnveen

"All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand"

ICT-N/Philips Semiconductors Nijmegen
Address: AC 0.061, Gerstweg 2, 6534 AE Nijmegen
Fax: +31 24 353 2019
Tel.  +31 24 353 3631

                    C.M.E.
                    Reniers/EHV/RESEARCH/PHI           To:  samba at lists.samba.org
                    LIPS at EMEA3                         cc:  (bcc: Reinout
                    Sent by:                            Wijnveen/NYM/SC/PHILIPS)
                    samba-admin at lists.samba.           Subject:  [Samba] locking over NFS??
                    org
                                                       Classification:

                    02/04/02 04:45 PM

After installing Samba 2.2.2 on our HP/UX 11.00 servers,
we are getting (a lot ) of the following messages :

  posix_fcntl_lock: WARNING: lock request at offset 0, length 922337203685477900
0 returned
[2002/02/04 15:57:13, 0] ../source/locking/posix.c:(670)
  an Invalid argument error. This can happen when using 64 bit lock offsets
[2002/02/04 15:57:13, 0] ../source/locking/posix.c:(671)
  on 32 bit NFS mounted file systems.
[2002/02/04 15:57:13, 0] ../source/locking/posix.c:(685)
  Count greater than 31 bits - retrying with 31 bit truncated length.

Is this a sereous problem?? or can we ignore this ??
( We are using NFSV3 ..)

Eddy Reniers,
Philips Research Laboratories
Department Computer Services,  Building WAY3 98- postbox WAY31
Prof.Holstlaan 4, 5656 AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Phone : +31-40-27-44318

Email  : c.m.e.reniers at philips.com