[Samba] samba and redhat - ping fails

Mac Martine mac at magusdesigns.com
Sat Feb 2 17:28:12 GMT 2002

Hello-
 Note: I'm a newbie.

I have Samba running on redhat.It appears to be setup correctly, but the
problem is:

When I try to ping my PC from the redhat machine, I get 100% packet loss.

SETUP:
--I have no firewall setup on my linux machine, but i do in my router/hub.

--I am using dhcp for these 2 machines behind my hub giving out
192.168.1.100 amd 192.168.1.101

--My etc/hosts file looks like (NOTE: feathers and magus are my respective
computer names):

127.0.0.1         localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.1.101     feathers                feathers
192.168.1.100     magus                   magus

--My etc/resolv.conf file shows the 2 nameservers that my router/firewall
points to. they are correct.

I then run: etc/sbin/smb start
it says [OK] when it starts

Also, I can see the redhat machine from my PC, but I can't get into it.

Any ideas????
Thanks a bunch-
 Mac