[Samba] roaming profiles a definitive answer

David Mulcahy davmul at eseol.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 09:53:17 GMT 2002

Firstly forgive me if I am covering old ground as i am fairly new to this
mailing group.

To me roaming profiles are great.  However the definitive solution is to
allow all versions of Windows to be able to use the profiles, and not just
each version of windows. If you upgrade winnt to W2k all profiles stay
intact however if you install a fresh W2k profiles dont work, to me stupid.
But ....

Now I am testing this so be careful

I am trying to separate each win O/S into different smb.conf files but then
use symbolic links within each users O/S profile directory to point to the
relevent profile dir in the other O/S dir.

For example

my win 95 profile is started in \\%L\%U\.profiles Under that dir is the
relevant reg files that we need and will not touch.  Within that dir is
several more dirs, to name a few My Documents, Application Data, Start Menu
etc

My win2000 profile is stored in \\%L\%U\profiles Under that dir is the
relevant reg files that we need and will not touch.  Within that dir is
several more dirs, to name a few My Documents, Application Data, Start Menu
etc

So I am thinking why not just make a symbolic link to the dirs that match.
I will let you know how I get on however i only have 3 computers so dont
hold your breath.

If anybody has tried this and it doesn't work please let me know so i dont
waste my time.

One last point on trying some of the above I received an error when exiting