[Samba] Expected service, found `wins, dns, files'

Kenneth Illingsworth illingsk at cityofrochester.gov
Mon Dec 30 20:35:01 GMT 2002

Thank you very much. The error is now history.

Oddly, the host.conf file and nsswitch.conf file were copied from one of two other virtual Linux servers to save time. They also had their order settings in the host.conf file and hosts settings in the nsswitch.conf file switched around.

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Kenneth Illingsworth wrote:

> Can anyone peruse my attached host.conf file and determine what missing statement this error is referring to? Here is the command that generated this error:
>
> [root at cofr3 s390]# /usr/sbin/rndc reload
> /etc/host.conf: line 11: expected service, found `wins, dns, files'
> rndc: reload command successful
>
> Thank you in advance for your time.

Suggest you set in host.conf

order hosts,bind
multi on

Then in /etc/nsswitch.conf change the hosts line to read:

hosts: files wins dns

The standard C library functions that read the host.conf file know nothing
of WINS.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra