[Samba] questions from a newbie

Sommers, David (NIH/NIMH) dsommers at mail.nih.gov
Thu Dec 26 20:18:01 GMT 2002

I have several newbie questions - any help much appreciated:

1. I run a combination Windows 98 and XP home network - have been looking at
Linux on two boxes at home - one desktop - one laptop - RH 7.3
2 I can get samba to run okay and in each of the two Win98SE machines can
see them as localhost
3. I cannot access any resources on the Linux machines - Win98 asks for a
password - \\localhost\IPC$ - I must be missing a step
4. All I want to ultimately do here is see files on the linux box in my home
directory - for starters - thanks.

David
David I. Sommers, Ph.D.
Scientific Review Administrator
Interventions Review Committee (ITV)
National Institute of Mental Health
6001 Executive Boulevard
Room 6144, MSC 9608
Bethesda, MD 20892
Rockville, MD 20852 (for express or courier service)
301-443-7861 - voice
301-443-4720 - fax
dsommers at mail.nih.gov - email