[Samba] weird stat()

Erick Calder e at arix.com
Sun Dec 22 06:57:00 GMT 2002

hei everyone,

I have a weird problem: if I do a

# cd /somedir; stat somesubdir |grep Modify

where /somedir is some directory on an SMB-mounted filesystem I get one
datetime... but I I do:

# cd /somedir; stat * |grep Modify

for the same directory I get a Modify time which consistently differs by 1
second.  As I'm writing a perl module to detect differences in a filesystem
and rely on the mtime, I'm crawling up walls...

I'm running RH 7.2 with a 2.4.18-18.7 kernel and samba 2.2.1a-4.  and I've
had this weird behaviour confirmed by someone on OPN #redhat running a RH
8.0 system with samba 2.2.7.

wtf?

thx - ekkis