[Samba] 'credentials supplied conflict

Kenneth Illingsworth illingsk at cityofrochester.gov
Fri Dec 20 17:11:00 GMT 2002

I believe that I have managed to set up a SAMBA server to function as a Windows NT PDC. However, when I try to add a Win2kPro workstation to the SAMBA servers security DB (IE /usr/local/samba/private/MACHINE.SID), I get an error dialog on the workstation indicating that the computer could not be joined in the domain bacause the 'credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials'.

The SAMBA account that I used has been added into the  smbusers file as equivalent to 'administrator' and 'admin'. However, no matter what SAMBA account I try to use to add this workstation, I get the same error dialog.

I found Q197987 on Microsoft's Knowledgebase which deals with this error on a Win2k server, and it describes how to edit the registry to delete the string for the offending username. So, I edited the MACHIND.SID with vi and deleted the only entry I found there. Unfortunately, the error dialog remains an issue.

Thank you in advance for your time.