[Samba] samba to samba via LDAP

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Dec 20 05:43:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 10:37, jeff wrote:
> > Why not just have both servers authenticating against a common ldap
> > store?
>
> That would be the same desired result. Know any way I could have a real-time
> single LDAP store on a single machine and have everything auth against it?

just point all your samba machines at the same ldap server...
you can add tls security if needed.
I have ~10 machines authenticating against a single ldap server.

It took me a while to work out the security issues. Make sure to read
the latest ldap docs - even if you're using an older version. The newer
docs are clearer on the security stuff.

> I've thought about just doing a scp of the .gdbm files, but that's just
> another point of failure.
I fear that idea (you have no way of knowing that the db files are
synced before you scp) - instead use slurpd for replication if you need
to distribute the load. I've not replicated my db yet...

brad

--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>