[Samba] Speed of smbcacls?

Andrew Furey andrew at terminus.net.au
Wed Dec 18 06:43:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm using the smbcacls command to query a W2k server from a Linux Samba
2.2.7a client. (This is for the script that I'm writing, which I will
post soon - I know at least one person was interested...)

It all works fine, but it's very slow - it takes about 1 second per
file. "Very" in this case is relative, but since I intend to run it on
~150k files...

I've added some "checkpoints" to my code (Perl), and verified that it's
definitely the smbcacls call that is the problem. I'm running it with:

/usr/bin/smbcacls //mybox/c$ "path/to/file" -Umyuser%mypass

Question is, is there any way to speed it up? Maybe some tweaks on
either the server or the client?

(This may be better suited on samba-technical - feel free to Cc.)

Andrew

--
ANDREW FUREY <andrew at terminus.net.au> - Sysadmin/developer for Terminus.
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)