[Samba] slowness when using roaming profiles

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Dec 17 19:20:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Gareth Davies wrote:

Just want to comment on issues with roaming profile usage and to
highlight the comments made below.

Another user complained to me that profile loading was VERY slow and that
one user took over 10 minutes to log onto the network, during which all
other users experienced poor network performance.

Just FYI - the user in question had an Outlook PST file that was nearly
1 Gigabyte in size. PST files are stored as part of the profile!! Any
wonder this user had problems! Again, this is NOT a samba issue - it is an
artifact of how roaming profiles and outlook works, AND is a symptom of
incredibly poor network management if such situations are allowed to
develop.

Corollory:
----------
If you want to use roaming profiles (good idea!), then it is essential
that profiles be managed. It is also important that all desktop tools and
service be configured in such a way that the profile environment remains
manageable. A good way to enforce this is trough the use of mandatory
profiles (ie: ones that the user can not change). This prevents the
growth in size of the profile. Oh yes, it also forces the site to manage
the network more carefully.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra