[Samba] Save open access databases

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Mon Dec 16 16:48:11 GMT 2002

David,

If you back it up while clients are writing to it, there's a chance your
backup will catch an update halfway through and be corrupt.  There isn't
much you can do about this unless you can somehow ensure the database isn't
being written to while you do the backup.  (Doing it after hours was my
technique, when we had an Access database.)

Other than that, if you're trying to back it up from a Windows server,
Windows' file locking may prevent you from copying it.  There are products
to get around this (Open File Manager is one) but I haven't tried them.  On
a Linux server, locking won't be an issue.