[Samba] Samba/CUPS new printer not showing up, must restart

Jason Jeremias jasonj at uui-alaska.com
Thu Dec 12 18:56:00 GMT 2002

Someone please say it isn't so.  I'm running Samba 2.2.7 on Linux,
compiled from source.  I use CUPS for my printing needs and I have samba
setup to load printers.

I'm having 2 problems:

1) if I add a new printer to CUPS (which in turn adds it to
/etc/printcap) it doesn't show up in Samba.  I've tried to -HUP the smbd
process to get the printer to show up and that didn't work.

Here are my relevent settings in smb.conf

    printcap name = lpstat
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups

The only think I've found that works is restarting samba, this is a
terrible solution for me because if I restart Samba, which is acting as
my PDC.  My Windows 2K Server, running SQL Server can no longer
authenticate users and I have to restart that box to get it to work again.

Is there another solution PLEASE!!!  Having to restart samba to see a
new printer just seems plain silly to me.

2) Even thought I have samba setup to print using this command:

print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P %p -o raw %s -J'%J' -r

It doesn't seem to be removing the jobs out of my /var/spool/samba
directory when they are complete, any Ideas why?

Comments, Suggestions, all help appreciated.