[Samba] permssion issues

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Thu Dec 12 16:36:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:55:49AM -0600, Tony McGrew wrote:
> I have a pretty well working RH7.3 Samba 2.2.5 from RPM set up.  I have
> searched the archives and the man pages but can't find an answer to this
> issue although I have a sneaking suspicion it is there somewhere.  I have 3
> groups set up under linux.  everyone, engr, and sales.  I have 3 shares.
> One share is set up for the engr group, one for the sales group, and one for
> everyone that gets shared between the 2 groups. The problem is that when a
> member of the engr group creates a file on the everyone share it retains the
> engr group for that file, and the same happens for the sales.  I have set
> the create mode to 777 so that everyone has access to the files but I would
> much prefer to have the files created with the proper group setting. (an
> engr member creates a file on the engr share with engr group, and create a
> file on everyone share with everyone group) I have the following lines in
> the everyone share
> valid users = +everyone
> force group = everyone
>
> What have I missed to get this working properly? Thanks.

This will solved in three steps:

1. chown the base dir of the share for correct group,
   chown .engr /path/to/share/engr

2. Change modus of dir with
   chmod 2777 /path/to/share/engr

3. Add din smb.conf to specific share:
   [engr]
	valid users             = @engr
    force group             = engr
    # dir mode
    directory mask          = 0770
    force directory mode    = 2000
    # file mode
    create mask             = 0770
    force create mode       = 2000

The first two steps setup the correct unix behaviour, and on top of that samba
are force to use this defs (group, create masks).

Frank.
--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de