[Samba] samba PDC problems

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Dec 12 06:50:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:

> John H Terpstra wrote:
>
>  On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:
>
> You might try to set a more DNS friendly domain name. ie: One without the
> '.' in it. Could be a problem.
>
> ok - i tried GENWAXTEST.  didn't help.  i also removed the netbios name and tried both
> at the same time. no luck.

Are you using LDAP? If so, then you need to put all user and
machine accounts into the LDAP database.

> the servers fully qualified name is MARS.GENWAX.TEST.
> test is like com or org or net.  i use my own root names all the
> time for testing.

Providing you are not using LDAP for Samba, use in smb.conf:

	workgroup = genwax
	netbios name = mars

Also, first stop samba, the remove your secrets.tdb file. Also, remove the
browse.dat (and if you have one, wins.dat), then restart samba, wait at
least 5 minutes before you try to get your MS Windows client to join the
domain.

Also, I strongly recommend that you run Samba as your WINS server and set
in the MS Windows Client TCP/IP config, the IP address of your samba
server for the WINS primary _and_ secondary addresses.

To enable WINS serving in samba in smb.conf [globals]:
	wins support = yes

Also, restart the MS Windows machine, and when you log on as the local
administrator, do NOT try to browse the network before you join the
domain.

Additionally, I presume you already have a root account in your smbpasswd
file. You will need to use the 'Administrator' account to join the domain,
and give it the password you entered when you added 'root' to smbpasswd.

Let's see how that goes.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra