[Samba] Samba printing on Solaris 8

daulton theodore daulton_theodore at carleton.ca
Wed Dec 11 21:00:01 GMT 2002

Hi:
I am new to the Samba world and I am having problems with printing. I
have Samba installed on a Solaris 8 server. I can see the Samba shares
and the printer (lasersys) in Windows Explorer. I have installed the
printer on my workstation (NT 4.0) using the Windows 'Add Printer'
wizard. However, when I send a print job to the printer
(Wordpad:File > Print) the job never gets to the printer. Instead the
job stays in /tmp with a filename such as 'smbprn.000047.Qgayvr'. I have
left out the '; rm %s' from the print command below so that I could see
the jobs landing in /tmp and not making it to the printer. I really
would appreciate any help/suggestions you guys can offer.

The following is a clip from the config.smb file:

# Global parameters
[globals]
   netbios name  = HYDRA
   server string = Samba %v on Netbios (%L), DNS hostname (%h)
   workgroup     = SIMPLE
   dead time     = 5
   encrypt passwords = yes
   browsable     = no
   writeable     = yes

#  Debug Logging information
   log level = 2
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/samba.log.%m
   max log size = 50
   debug timestamp = yes

#  printing stuff
   printing      = SYSV
   printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
   print command = /bin/lp -c -d%p %s
   lpq command = /bin/lpstat -o%p
   lprm command = /bin/cancel %p-%j
   lppause command = /bin/lp -i %p-%j -H hold
   lpresume command = /bin/lp -i %p-%j -H resume
   load printers = yes
   use client driver = yes

[printers]
   comment = "Printers"
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0755
   browseable = yes
   public = no
   guest ok = yes
   print ok = yes

[lasersys]
   comment = systems laser printer
   browseable = yes
   printer = laser_sys
   create mode = 0755
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes

The following is the contents of the printcap file:

laser_sys| hp laserjet 8150

lpstat -t generates the following:

# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: laser_sys
system for _default: library4 (as printer laser_sys)
device for laser_sys: /dev/laser_sys
_default accepting requests since Tue Nov 19 14:33:56 EST 2002
laser_sys accepting requests since Tue Nov 19 14:33:56 EST 2002
printer laser_sys is idle. enabled since Tue Nov 19 14:33:56 EST 2002.
available.
#

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestion you can provide. It would
great to get this working!