[Samba] Login via winbind -> hangs for certain time

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Dec 11 19:38:00 GMT 2002

> Message: 14
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 08:15:08 +0100
> From: Heiko Ettelbrueck <hbruckynews at gmx.net>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Login via winbind -> hangs for certain time
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a box running with samba 2.2.7 and winbind (nmbd and winbindd
in use)
> to allow users of the local NT domain to login. The config files for
PAM and
> /etc/nsswitch.conf have been configured correctly so logins are now
possible
> using the local console (login), ssh, xdm and su.
> Almost everything works fine - everything but the time that is needed for
> the login process of an NT user to complete. Directly after having
provided
> user name and password, I get the local welcome message (in this case
SuSE's
> "Have a lot of fun"), but after that, it takes several seconds with
100% cpu
> usage taken by a process of "ls" with argument "-l".
> Another problem that goes together with the behaviour described above: If
> working in a directory where there are files or directories owned by an NT
> user, it takes the same long time to do a "ls -l".
> And last but not least my third reception: A "ps -A" once again takes
a lot
> of (cpu and "normal") time and seems to hang meanwhile.

What happens with :

$ getent passwd
$ wbinfo -u
?

> Any suggestions where I could search for the problem? I couldn't find any
> hint searching the web and the newsgroups listed at Google.

How was your winbind conpiled? I think I found this to be an issue when
compiling with the winbind ldap hack (ie running ./configure for samba
with '--with-winbind-ldap-hack'). Try compiling without this option (if
you don't need it).

If this is not the case, you may also have success with nscd (typically
used for NIS and LDAP to cache lookups), but winbind is supposed to do
caching anyway, and I normally don't find it necessary.

Regards,
Buchan

- --