[Samba] Samba 2.2.7 and logon script processing

Samba News randy.cox at allegroassociates.com
Tue Dec 3 19:16:48 GMT 2002

Hi All,

Perhaps this is a repeat, but:

Installed 2.2.7 from source (compiled with no options, just ./configure,
make, make install)

In our smb.conf, the line of interest is:

login script = %u.bat
    (lowercase u)

causes samba (not sure if it's smbd or nmbd) to fatally crash, and in the
logs I get the message (repeated hundreds of times):

    [ current date shows here] lib/util_str.c: string_sub(1217)
    ERROR: string overflow by 2 in string_sub(%u, 7)

^
is username +2 (that is, for example, a username 4 characters long causes
this number to be 6)

However, if I change the line in smb.conf to be:
login script = %U.bat
    (uppercase U)

Then login script processing works fine.

Did I miss something somewhere (perhaps a patch set?)?

TIA

randy.cox at allegroassociates.com