[Samba] Questions on fs mounting

Caleb Epstein cae at bklyn.org
Tue Dec 3 19:00:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:53:16PM -0500, Wirawan Purwanto wrote:

> My question is this: does smbfs support unix-like (or NT-like) file
> access control (like -rwxr-x---, or something like that)? As far as
> now, I always see ONLY -rwxrwxr-x or drwxrwxr-x. This is kind of
> annoying, since I saw variety of permission in when I check the
> files under Windows machine.  Please cc: me when you reply, since
> I'm not subscribed on samba mailing list.

	I'm fond of these options when mounting smbfs shares:

	gid=dos,fmask=664,dmask=775

	I have a group on my machine called "dos" (you can use
	whatever you want).  Anyone who needs access to these
	shares goes in this group.  Files end up getting 664
	permissions (rw-rw-r--) and directories get 775 (rwxrwxr-x).
	This means anyone in the group can change files or dirs on the
	samba share.

	I don't believe that smbfs has the ability to support all of the
	fine-grained permissions that samba supports.  All the files and
	directories will be owned by the UNIX user you specify for the
	mount (root.dos in my case) and everything will have the same
	permissions.  You can't chmod a file on the smbfs mount and
	have the change propagate to the server, it just doesn't work
	like that.

--
Caleb Epstein |  bklyn . org  |
    cae at    | Brooklyn Dust |      Are we running light with overbyte?