[Samba] Help with Multi stream files

rhazbu01 at shadow.net rhazbu01 at shadow.net
Fri Aug 30 08:51:01 GMT 2002

Hello All,

I am having a problem with samba's ability to interpret certain files with
windows 2k clients.

Setup Details:
Linux ( RedHat 7.3 ) File Server
Win 2k Clients
Samba v2.2.3a
Kernel 2.4.18 statically compiled.

Problem Description:
When copying jpegs from a Win2k client which is displaying the JPEGS in
thumbnail mode, to the Linux / Samba file server, 3 files are copied as follows:

Size  Name
61013 pic0010.jpg
 7872 pic0010.jpg:zxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:$DATA
    0 pic0010.jpg:{yyyyyyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyyyyyyyyyy}:$DATA

The first file is the orig jpeg, which is intact. The second file I will assume
to be the thumbnail, while the 3rd file is empty.

I have done a search on the net and the samba list archives and have seen mails
from other people with the same problem but have not found a solution.

I have tried flicking some of the more obscure options for configuring samba
with no success.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Robert H.