[Samba] How do I create a globally accessible directory [partly solved] (XP works/98 doesn't)

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Mon Aug 26 04:07:02 GMT 2002

I would guess his smb.conf is so complex because the documentation is,
albeit thorough, very daunting when it comes to step by step procedures.
If someone is not experienced at reading 50+ screenfulls of man page, it's
very difficult to parse what's going on.

The only thing I can think of that would help this is perhaps to create
multiple sample smb.conf files that are kept as simple as possible for
typical situations....

(1 for Domain Master, 1 for Samba joining a domain, 1 for Samba acting as
a peer on unsecure network, heck even an smb.conf that makes samba behave
like Win95. (Err, forgoing the root part.))

Of course, it's pretty easy to make these grand suggestions when your
volunteering someone else's time.