[Samba] Installing 2.2.5 latest on Mandrake 8

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Aug 26 00:53:01 GMT 2002

| Message: 3
| From: "Sudhashen Naicker" <naickers at sebs.wits.ac.za>
| To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
| Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:24:38 +0200
| Subject: [Samba] Installing 2.2.5 latest on Mandrake 8
|
| Hi there
|
| I am a novice Linux user and am just trying it out - I am very
impressed but
| also very frustrated.  I have loaded Mandrake 8 on a box and have
configured
| Samba for Windows pc's use this as a backup data server.  Works
| wonderfully - but our campus administrators say that the current
version of
| Samba presents a security risk(2.0.7) and should be upgraded.  Thought
this
| was simple but boy was I wrong.  Downloaded the latest tar file and ran
| ./configure etc.  Went smoothly but still sitting with current version.
| after close examination seems that the files where installed in the wrong
| directory.  Copied to the right directory on mandrake  but it seems that I
| have not copied some other files to critical folders. After much
| frustration, decided to try another approach and to download latest
rpm from
| rpmfind.net. ran this under the mandrake software updater but keep on
| getting that samba needs other files to load successfully(for eg
| samba-common).  tried installing these but they also say need other
files to
| install - now there seems no end to it.  I'm now at my wits end and need
| help.  I have been brought up on Windows(forgive me!) so am still in same
| groove of thinking - please help me to help myself see the light!
| Has anyone installed on Mandrake 8.0 successfully and if so how?

OK, it looks like the first thing you need to do is setup
MandrakeUpdate, and run it. You may want to head over to
http://www.mandrakesecure.net, and at least read some of the advisories
(for example, I am not sure how you should handle a kernel upgrade on
8.0 any more, but it will be in the advisory). If you haven't updated
your box, you will have a lot of updates to do, I hope this machine
hasn't been open to the world ...

For future reference, any time you setup any OS, the first thing you
should do is run updates (preferably before starting any services).
Mandrake 8.2 and later make this easier for you, since you can do
updates at the end of the installation.

Btw, you might find a Mandrake updates mirror near you at
ftp://ftp.sun.ac.za/mandrake/mandrake/updates (you should be able to add
this as a security source in rpmdrake/MandrakeUpdate).

There should be a samba-2.0.11 or so in Mandrake Update for 8.0

However, if you really do need the latest samba for Mandrake 8.0, you
will find RPMs (which you can install by urpmi or rpmdrake) on the samba
FTP mirrors (under binary_packages).

Other places to look are my site and Sylvestre's:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~staburet/samba

Also, since you seem new to linux, you may want to join a linux user
group mailing list, such as GLUG (Gautent Linux Users Group). Their web
page is under reconstruction, but you should be able to subscribe by
sending a mail to mailto:glug-request at linux.org.za containing "subscribe
glug" in the subject.

Regards,
Buchan