[Samba] About using root...

Paul Soulek soulek at frontiernet.net
Sun Aug 25 09:55:02 GMT 2002

Being new to Linux and all, I have another question that I'm sure seems
"elementary", but hey, I've gotta start somewhere. My question is this:
do I need to be logged in as root to stop/start samba? If I log in as a
user, samba commands (samba start, samba stop, etc.) come up with a
message "'samba' command not found" So I've been running Samba in root
all this time.

I did have SWAT on the "menubar" (like the start menu--> programs for
lack of a better explanation) but I can't seem to find it on the new 8.2
that I installed. I must be too Windows-oriented. I know it was possible
to Start/Stop samba from there----but when I would use it before (when
we had 8.0) nothing would work. It wouldn't start or anything. So we
just installed 8.2 and everything worked great from the start.

Thank you for your time again!
Paul