[Samba] Mounting past the share level (\\server\share\path)

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Aug 14 08:52:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Gregory Longfellow wrote:

> What I would like to do is mount each user's Windows 2000 home directory
> (\\server\share\username) under linux as the same home directory.
>
> I can set the home directory in winbind.
> I can mount an arbitrary samba path on login, as the user, via smbpwman.
> I can't issue a mount request to samba so that it understands anything past
> the share level.
>
> Any ideas?

I have some patches for smbmount and the kernel to allow this.

It makes smbmount understand \\server\share\username and passes the
"\username" bit to smbfs and makes smbfs use that string as the base for
all pathnames (instead of just "\").

Seems to work for arbitrary depths, but it's not very well tested.

I posted that on samba-technical, but I can dig them up for you if you
give me some time.

/Urban