[Samba] How to mount a resource with non ascii chars??

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Aug 14 07:43:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Michael Cuff wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.
> Things still behave the same though.
>
> Is there any provsision for specifying the resource in hex?!?
> Something like:  //192.168.7.44/:83:43:83:4e
>
> Since the resource is a windows share, would I be sending Unicode across
> the wire?

No, the samba versions you are using does not support that. 3.0 does or
will, I think.

If you run smbclient, does it show the correct share name:
   smbclient -L 192.168.1.1 ...

And can you connect to it:
   smbclient //192.168.1.1/däta ...

With the correct character set/client code page settings in smb.conf it
should be shown correctly. And for me that is enough to allow connecting.

If the characters are not shown correctly then you have done something
wrong. Possibly picked the wrong dos code page for the "client" (here it's
really the server, of course).

You can't specify hex values, but if you know the hex values the server
expects you can use the corresponding character in your linux character
set.

For example, if an ä in dos is matched £ it should work if you use d£ta.
But to do that you'd need to find out which values are used.

/Urban