AW: [Samba] Unable to open configuration file "/etc/smb.conf"

nero one nero_oner at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 07:48:01 GMT 2002

Hi.

Email #1 was sent by accident.
Email #2 detailed the whole message but still contained two errors "smbd.conf" and
"/usr/lib/smb.conf" where i should have reflected my most recent attempts "smb.conf" -
"/etc/smb.conf".  It was late, i made two mistakes and corrected the issues on the followup.
Email #3 and on outlined the whole problem without issues.
The latest one i sent outlines the whole problem along with an strace.
it can be found here: http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2002-August/078344.html

As for the scope of the problem - you pretty much called it.  No matter where i stick the
configuration file smb.conf .. in any directory - it says the same message.  I actually have 4
errant copies of smb.conf on my system (/etc, /etc/samba, /usr/lib/smb.conf, /root/smb.conf) in
hopes that maybe one will work somewhere.

Therefore, please base yourself on the last email i sent regarding this thread and let me know
whether or not this is a bug, user error or plain stupidity.

Thank you for your time.
"nero one"