[Samba] Word and samba

Peter Barker pbarker at display.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 01:52:00 GMT 2002

Greetings Group

I think the Word crashing problem is quite common and does not confine
itself to Samba as PDC. Running Word with any file open on a Samba server
seems to invite trouble and file trashing.

This seems to more of a problem with Win2000 and XP than Win9X and NT. I
suspect that Micorsoft have "improved" the code to "optimise" performance
for Micorsoft servers...

In my particular case we have found that "no oplocks" reduces the rate of
file trashing...but am not sure if this totally fixes the problem yet. A
very worrying syndrome for us Linux adminz.

Advice on Microsoft word = send it back to Gates, (and you don't have to go
to UniSex to know that is good advice). The more you struggle against this
advice, the more work you make for yourself and the more money you give to
Bill. Tell your superiors that if they must have f*#king Microsoft products
on the net then perhaps they would like to f*#king fix them too.

Years of long experience - Microsloth does not get any better with
time..... ;0)

-
-Peter Barker                Desktop Display Ltd.,Brighton, UK.
-Technical Director                   "Bit bashers to the gentry"
-pbarker at display.co.uk            http://www.display.co.uk/