[Samba] Unable to open configuration file "/anywhere i specify"

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Aug 12 16:58:01 GMT 2002

Well, I am out of easy ideas.

At this point, reading the source code, getting a different version of
samba, removing all traces of samba from the system and redoing things
using all defaults come to mind, none of them really easy.
Joel

Here are the relevant source files:
While in the source directory:

for i in `find . | sed -n "/\.c$/p"`;do echo $i; grep file_load $i;done | less

reveals:

./lib/util_file.c
    398 ****************************************************************************/
    399 char *file_load(char *fname, size_t *size)
    400 {
    401         int fd;
    402         char *p;
    403
    404         if (!fname || !*fname) return NULL;
    405
    406         fd = open(fname,O_RDONLY);
    407         if (fd == -1) return NULL;
    408
    409         p = fd_load(fd, size);
    410
    411         close(fd);
    412
    413         return p;
    414 }

and

./param/params.c

    516   /* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ **
    517    * Open a configuration file.
    518    *
    519    *  Input:  FileName  - The pathname of the config file to be opened.
    520    *
    521    *  Output: A pointer of type (char **) to the lines of the file
    522    *
    523    * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ **
    524    */
    525   {
    526   char *func = "params.c:OpenConfFile() -";
    527   extern BOOL in_client;
    528   int lvl = in_client?1:0;
    529   myFILE *ret;
    530
    531   ret = (myFILE *)malloc(sizeof(*ret));
    532   if (!ret) return NULL;
    533
    534   ret->buf = file_load(FileName, &ret->size);
    535   if( NULL == ret->buf )
    536     {
    537     DEBUG( lvl,
    538       ("%s Unable to open configuration file \"%s\":\n\t%s\n",
    539       func, FileName, strerror(errno)) );
    540     free(ret);
    541     return NULL;
    542     }

So, will a C guru kindly point out the problem? Maybe just a few debugging
hints. My C knowledge is just not enuf to be useful.

Joel