[Samba] mode=777 does not work as fstab option

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Aug 12 07:30:01 GMT 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, David Cougle wrote:

> [user at localhost filedepot]$ touch foo.txt
> touch: creating `foo.txt': No such file or directory
> (this works when done locally)

This error does not indicate a permission problem. I suggest you run
ethereal on the linux box, listening to port 139, while you run 'touch'.

smbfs translates error codes from the server into unix errno values.
Something may be lost in the translation. There should be a create or open
response with this error code in it (don't worry ethereal decodes most of
it for you).

If you want to you could save the snoop'ed data to file and send them to
me off-list.

Perhaps the server is full? (disk space, out of inodes on a unix box, ...)

Whatever it is, this is not a problem with the smbfs permission code. You
may want to tripple check that the windows user "Perkins", or whomever you
connect as, has permission to write in that dir (on the server).

/Urban