[Samba] CD-RW Sharing

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Aug 5 06:23:03 GMT 2002

> Message: 13
> From: "jimgoode at quixnet.net" <jimgoode at quixnet.net>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:49:14 -0400
> Subject: [Samba] CD-RW Sharing
>
> I am trying to share a CD-RW from the samba server (SuSE Linux 7=2E3, kern=
> el
> 2=2E4=2E10) using Samba that came with the distribution=2E
>
> I am using user level sharing and have successfully shared out disk shares=
>
> with both r and rw access=2E I can also access the CD-ROM and CD-RW in rea=
> mode and even do an installation from the CD-ROM to a client=2E
>
> When I try to create a CD using CD-RW, I get the following error while
> trying to save Image=2EISO:
> \\sambaserver\cdrw\Image=2EISO
> Cannot access this file=2E
> Check security privileges over the network drive=2E

Remember samba can only do what you can do locally. Did you try cp
/tmp/image.iso /mnt/cdrw? I would guess that failed also.

IMHO, this is the best solution to your problem (assuming your real
problem is how to share a CD-RW to windows machines from linux, and not
restricted to using samba to do it as in your post):

http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter/

As such , it is actually off-topic for the list, and you might have at
least tried a search on freshmeat.net

Buchan