[Samba] CD-RW Sharing

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Mon Aug 5 02:57:02 GMT 2002

At 11:49 AM 8/2/02 -0400, jimgoode at quixnet.net wrote:
>I am trying to share a CD-RW from the samba server (SuSE Linux 7.3, kernel
>2.4.10) using Samba that came with the distribution.
>
>I am using user level sharing and have successfully shared out disk shares
>with both r and rw access. I can also access the CD-ROM and CD-RW in read
>mode and even do an installation from the CD-ROM to a client.

Good.  Well done.

>When I try to create a CD using CD-RW, I get the following error while
>trying to save Image.ISO:
>\\sambaserver\cdrw\Image.ISO
>Cannot access this file.
>Check security privileges over the network drive.

Simple - what you want to do is impossible - you cannot use samba to write
a CD.  You need to use cdrecord or cdrdao.

>Any suggestions on what I may have missed regarding security?

Not security - but if you want to do this you need to write a script or an
extension to the iso filesystem that will write an iso as a disk - it's a
nice idea, but it sounds too complex to attempt.  You might want to monitor
our companies GPL menu program (runs client-server and does such things -
we have a version of it set up here where we put files into a folder
(toburn), and the server runs mkisofs and cdrecord to create the CD).

>PS - I have also noticed that the "root preexec mount ..." command in the
>smb.conf works but that the "root postexec umount ..." command does not.
>Any suggestions?

deadtime parameter in smb.conf. AFAIR

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate