[Samba] NetBIOS problems in presence of audio stream?

tombork at web.de tombork at web.de
Fri Aug 2 09:23:02 GMT 2002

Chris,

> An "NT" name, would be considered by most, the same as the NetBIOS name.
> When one names an NT box it is the NetBIOS name. Same is actually true
> of Windows 2000 and later, the hostname is still the NetBIOS name even
> though in a Windows 2000 AD domain the FQDN is used as the primary
> naming convention along with its resolution tools (DNS) as opposed to
> the NetBIOS name and its tools (WINS).

you are talking about different name spaces. If you are configured a DNS-Name like "aaa" in properties of TCP/IP for your ethernet-card and a NETBIOS-name of "bbb" in properties of My_computer in NT/w2k/xp, then you have different names.

It is not recommended but you can do this. And you can do this also with samba, see "netbios name" in smb.conf.

der tom