[Samba] more printing + general domain advice

Tony McGrew tony at multicam.com
Thu Aug 1 07:56:02 GMT 2002

I still have not figured out how to get the printer status (list of jobs
etc..) to show up in the w2k printer windows.  most printing is working well
with this exception,  I print from an email from outlook and the bold H
gets left out.  Different emails, different fonts, but always the capital H.
Here is the system.
RH7.3
compiled cups from cups.org 1.1.15 (and printing with it)
samba 2.2.5 from RH RPM
main printer is minolta d350 although there are queues set up for several
hp4000's that work.
no print status for any printer.

On another note I started this network about 10 years ago with 5 pc's on a
peer to peer.  It is still setup pretty much as a work group.  is it worth
trying to get samba to act as a PDC and move forward that way?  Currently we
have 45 client pc's and 6 servers (4 samba, 1 netware, 1 w2k) on the network
plus a lot of machine tools and I would really like make admin easier. I
know just enough windows server stuff to be dangerous.  The current w2k
server I do not what to change at all because it is dedicated to running one
piece of software that we can't get support on if we add to it.  Will I get
less network traffic on a domain rather that a workgroup?
Thanks.
Tony McGrew
WWW.Multicam.com